Put simply, in traditional astrology, your Moon sign represents your comfort zone.
It is seen as representing how you perceived your mother when you were an infant (i.e. your relationship with the archetype of the Mother and your relationship with your real / physical mother), along with also representing your family, your tribe, and your physical body.
It represents how successful you were at exploring the world around you as a child, and so how successful you are now, as an adult, in dealing with your anxiety.
It is therefore associated with the anxiety that you experience, as an adult, whenever you choose, or are forced, to leave the safety and security of your comfort zone.
However, in Energy Astrology, the astrological sign in which your Moon resides also shows you:
- Which negative feeling automatically undermines your comfort zone.
- Which positive quality automatically strengthens your comfort zone.
These are the negative feelings which, whenever you feel them, also help to trigger the feeling of anxiety within you. Basically, for you, the two feelings have become so inter-linked, you cannot feel ‘X’ without also feeling anxiety.
For example, if you have Moon in Libra, then the feeling of regret will also trigger the feeling of anxiety, for someone with Moon in Capricorn the trigger feeling will be rage, and for Moon in Pisces the trigger feeling will be sadness.
As you can see from the list below, Sagittarius is the odd one out, because its negative quality is worry as well as anxiety. So whenever a Sagittarius Moon feels anxiety, it gets double the dose.
However, the good news is that if a Moon in Sagittarius person can find a way to stabilize and transform their anxiety, then they become emotionally grounded and a very effective emotional ‘operator’. But this does take some serious inner work to achieve.
Because individuals desperately try to avoid the feeling of anxiety wherever possible, they will also go out of their way to avoid these associated trigger feelings.
This means someone with Moon in Virgo will try to avoid feeling guilty, because this will trigger their feelings of anxiety, and Moon in Libra will actively avoid the feeling of regret wherever possible.
Now, in some weird and spooky way, most birth mothers are usually very good at knowing exactly which trigger feeling switches on your anxiety, and can use this to control you from a very early age.
The mother who wants their Moon in Virgo child to tidy their room will make them feel guilty… But if the child’s Moon is in Leo, she will probably get angry with them, because they hate the thought of anger, and so are likely to back down and tidy their room.
Now, if our mothers can do this mind-manipulation thing on us, then the same is also true for anyone else who would seek to influence us using anxiety… until we take the power back into our own hands, and break the connection between anxiety and our trigger emotion.
So, whenever you are starting to feel anxious… for whatever reason… then all you need to do is use the Crystal Antidote that is associated with your particular Moon sign, and this will help you to reduce the associated trigger feeling.
In addition, anyone can use the Anxiety Antidote, as it is not just reserved for Moon in Sagittarius, and this can also help to reduce your levels of anxiety overall.
- Moon in Aries = Fear = Amethyst, Kunzite, Tanzanite
- Moon in Taurus = Hopelessness = Larimar, Sunstone, Yellow Topaz
- Moon in Gemini = Unhappiness = Amazonite, Emerald, Blue Fluorite
- Moon in Cancer = Emptiness = Amethyst, Aquamarine, Golden Tiger’s Eye
- Moon in Leo = Anger = Carnelian, Moonstone, Blue Sapphire
- Moon in Virgo = Guilt = Charoite, Citrine, Malachite
- Moon in Libra = Regret = Blue Kyanite, Labradorite, Sunstone
- Moon in Scorpio = Frustration = Red Jasper, Yellow Topaz, Turquoise
- Moon in Sagittarius = Worry / Anxiety = Amethyst, Citrine, Turquoise
- Moon in Capricorn = Rage = Moss Agate, Pietersite, Red Jasper
- Moon in Aquarius = Intolerance = Green Aventurine, Heliodor, Blue Topaz
- Moon in Pisces = Sadness = Aragonite, Pyrite, Sodalite
Unfortunately, from an astrological perspective, there is a small problem with finding the sign for your natal Moon. You see the Moon travels 14 degrees during a single day, and because each zodiac sign is only 30 degrees across, it only takes the Moon under 48 hours to cross in and out of each sign. So the bad news is that unless you know your exact time of birth, then it will be impossible to identify the exact position of the Moon sign in your natal chart.
Normally, when I am trying to identify someone’s Moon sign, and I don’t know exactly when they were born, I set the time to Noon, find out where the Moon was located at that moment, and then look to see what signs fall seven degrees on either side of the Moon.
Occasionally, the Moon will fall right in the middle of a sign, and so there is no question of that person’s Moon sign. However, when it isn’t so clear cut, the good news is that on the day you were born, there are only two options possible, and if you know what those two signs are, most people are able to identify, from the issue list above, which negative quality most undermines their comfort zone, and so fuels their feelings of anxiety.
For example, if you were born on a day when the Moon was in Cancer for the first part of the day, and Leo in the second part, then your choice is between emptiness and anger. So is it anger that creates anxiety within you, or a feeling of emptiness? I have found that most people are easily able identify which trigger emotion turns on their anxiety.
Although you may not know your exact time of birth, this shouldn’t stop you from ‘roughly’ identifying your natal Moon placement, and so also identifying the associated emotional trigger for your anxiety.
If you can muscle-test, or have a friend who can do it for you, then you can also use muscle testing to identify which negative quality most weakens your comfort zone, and this then helps you identify which Crystal Antidote you need to use.
If you don’t have a Crystal Antidote to hand, or not able to easily obtain one, then you can also use the meridian affirmations developed by John Diamond, to ease feelings of anxiety.
These meridian affirmations are given in the table below.
- Aries Moon = Kidney = I am sexually secure. My sexual energies are balanced.
- Taurus Moon = Triple Warmer = I am light and buoyant. I am buoyed up with hope.
- Gemini Moon = Liver = I am happy. I have good fortune. I am cheerful.
- Cancer Moon = Stomach = I am content. I am tranquil.
- Leo Moon = Heart = I love. I forgive. There is forgiveness in my heart.
- Virgo Moon = Large Intestine = I am basically clean and good. I am worthy of being loved.
- Libra Moon = Heart Protector = I renounce the past. I am relaxed. My body is relaxed. I am generous.
- Scorpio Moon = Bladder = I am at peace. I am in harmony. Dissonances and conflicts within me have been resolved. I am balanced.
- Sagittarius Moon = Spleen = I have faith and confidence in my future. I am secure. My future is secure.
- Capricorn Moon = Gallbladder = I reach out with love. I reach out with forgiveness.
- Aquarius Moon = Lung = I am humble. I am tolerant. I am modest.
- Pisces Moon = Small Intestine = I am full of joy. I am jumping with joy.
These affirmations can be used to reduce the level of anxiety experienced by your Moon sign, through relieving the stress of your trigger emotion, and so helping to balance and harmonize the energy of the associated meridian.
I also suggest, regardless of your Moon sign, you can also use the affirmation associated with the Spleen meridian / Sagittarius to reduce your level of anxiety overall.
The great thing about using these meridian affirmations is that they are free, easy to use, and once memorized, or written down on a small piece of card and carried in your purse or wallet, can be used anytime and anywhere.
But remember, when you are repeating these affirmations, also allow yourself to initially feel your anxiety, and don’t try to suppress it… and then allow it to gently fade. As you repeat the words, your unconscious mind will gently transform your anxiety into positive feelings… just as fresh water will clear a muddy pond of dirt if it is allowed to flow into and through the pond.
(c) Brian Parsons, November 2016